Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I'm going to be an Auntie!!

My brother and sister-in-law stopped by tonight to share the big news...they're expecting their first baby in September!  I am SO excited for them...and for me too!  A new little niece or nephew to spoil silly and someone to hand off all our baby gear to...double delight!  Coincidentally, I have a baby card to share with you tonight!  I made this on the weekend when I was playing around with the faux torn paper technique.  I am wanting to create samples I can show my customers that just use cardstock, ink and stamps without patterned paper.  While I love our patterned paper, not everyone can afford to purchase it; so I want to show everyone that you can still get the effect of patterned paper with just stamps and ink.  Here is a really simple baby card I made using the Sweet Summer SAB set.
Baby card made using faux torn paper technique and Sweet Summer stamp set.

Close up of sentiment detail from Something to Celebrate level 2 hostess set from the Occasions Mini.

Sentiment from the Occasional Quotes level three hostess set.

Inside sentiment also from Occasional Quotes set.
The more I play with the Sweet Summer set the more I love it!  The images are just so...well...sweet!  There is so much one can do with them!  For this card, I decided to try to create the look of DSP, so I started with a piece of whisper white cardstock.  I tore several repositionable notes and adhered them along the length of the cardstock about one third of the way down.  I then stamped the various images from the Sweet Summer set using the following ink colours:  pear pizzaz for the vine, rose red for the flower (which actually ended up being completely covered by the ribbon!), so saffron for the butterfly and marina mist for the bird.  I then coloured each image using my blender pen and the following ink colours:  certainly celery for the vine, pretty in pink for the flower, peach parfait for the butterfly and bashful blue for the flower.  I then sponged pink pirouette ink all over the stamped section, ensuring the edges and area along the mask were darkest.  I then removed the mask and repositioned it along the edge I had just inked, revealing the still-white top portion of the cardstock.  I stamped the tiny bumblebee in so saffron and then sponged the entire area using the same ink colour.  I then wrapped a piece of 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon in pink pirouette (retired, from the Clearance Rack) around the cardfront, forming a bow by wrapping a short piece of pretty in pink gingham ribbon (retired) around the middle.  I then adhered the whole thing to a pear pizzazz card base.  The sentiment was stamped in pear pizzazz ink on a scrap of whisper white and then punched out using my modern label punch.  I lightly sponged the surface of the modern label with so saffron ink and the edges with rose red.  This was then layered on a wide oval in pink pirouette that had also been sponged in rose red.  Because I'm the layer queen ; ) I added a final decorative label layer in pear pizzazz before adhering it to the card.  The finishing touch on the sentiment was some little pearls.
For the inside of the card, I stamped the vine and bumble bee in pear pizzazz along the lower edge.  The sentiments, both of which are from the Occasional Quotes set, were stamped in pear pizzazz and pink pirouette on whisper white and then either punched out or cut out.  All edges were lightly sponged and all were adhered inside the card using dimensionals.
My brother and sis-in-law aren't going to find out the gender of the baby before it is born, so I'll have to wait to know if I will have a niece or nephew until the little bundle arrives in September; but that certainly won't stop me from designing shower invitations, birth announcements, thank you cards, mini scrapbooks etc, etc, etc.  You'll see lots of baby stuff over the next 6 months or so!

1 comment:

  1. Leena, I love this technique! What a beautiful card. Thanks so much for your nice comments on my blog, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...