Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Summer Splash for The Paper Players

 A while back I did a card for a colour inspiration challenge over at Stamping 411.  I really liked the combo and today's card uses two of the three colours from it.  The sketch for this week's challenge at the Paper Players is a REALLY versatile one...so much so that I am sure I will use it again and again.  It lends itself so well to so many different themes.  My first thought was of the Summer Splash set and what I could put in those little circles...but before I get ahead of myself, here is the sketch:

...and here is my card using the Summer Splash set from the Summer Mini:

Card for PP48 using Summer Splash stamp set with sentiment from Sunny Fun set.

Inside of card sans sentiment!
Isn't this a fun, summery card?  I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, given the simplicity of the sketch.  You likely know by now that simple is a REAL challenge for me! My name is Leena and  I am an embellishment addict!  But look ma, NO EMBELLIES!!  Just stamps, ink and paper...not something I generally do!  I did do a little funky punching with my scallop circle to create the sun...really simple and easy to do.  I just punched a scalloped circle, stuck it to a post-it note and then reinserted into my punch, offsetting the scallops, and repunched.  Voila...instant sun!  This isn't my idea...I stole it from my upline, Jamilla (thanks Jam!).  The sand is courtesy of my spritzer tool...LOVE that thing...how did I live without it for so long?!?  I spritzed the crumb cake cardstock with crumb cake, soft suede and chocolate chip ink to get the textured look.  I then sponged it lightly with crumb cake to blend the colours...kinda makes you want to touch it, no? 
The sentiment is from the Sunny fun set and just worked perfectly for this card.  I left the inside blank and will likely stamp something when I'm ready to use this card...for a summer birthday, thank you, invitation, whatever.  I had to include the little shovel and pail because they remind me of my son and the hours he spends in his sandbox!

6 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!!! I thought 'how did she do that sand??? Is it cork, no, what???'.... Now I know. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun!!! I love your take on the sketch with the sun and the fish. And using the color spritzer to create that textured background - genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic take on the sketch! Love that "sand" paper you made--it's perfect. And the colors are just so beachy. Thanks for joining us at the Paper Players! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun, summery card! I love the sand...how creative! Thanks for playing with The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leena, I am so ready to hit the beach after seeing your bright and sunny card! Thank you for sharing that awesome technique to create the punched sun, too. Absolutely adorable! Thanks so much for joining us at The Paper Players this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the summer fun that you captured in this playful card. The sand is just awesome! Thanks for joining the Paper Players this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...