Friday, April 6, 2012

An Angry Birds Birthday

Today my baby turns FIVE!  How is it possible that my sweet baby boy is starting Kindergarten in the fall??  I remember every single detail of the day he was born...Good Friday, 2007 at 9:50 pm.  Tomorrow we are celebrating his big day with all of his friends from school at a local indoor playground/kids gym.  The theme of this year's party is, of course, Angry Birds.  Max is crazy about that game and loves all the little characters.  So, being the crafty (and not-very-bright) mommy I am, I set out to create an Angry Birds-themed party.  Since there isn't a whole lot on the market yet here in terms of party supplies, I got creative and made my own.  Have a look...

Every party begins with an invitation, so, here is the one I made for Max's big day:

Birthday invitation featuring Angry Birds punch art created with Stampin' Up punches
So...these little guys took me a while!  I started them in January, for goodness sake!  It was worth the effort, though, as they got the stamp of approval from Max, my quality control expert (he tells me when things don't look the way they're "supposed to").  Now I know I will get plenty of requests for how to create each character, so here is a quick list of the punches used for the various bird and piggy parts:

Red Bird: 
Body: 1 3/8" circle in real red, then a second in crumb cake, torn
Beak:  wind from bird builder punch, trimmed
Eyes:  owl builder - white medium circle, black smallest circle
Eyebrows:  candle from cupcake builder, trimmed
Hair:  candle from cupcake builder, trimmed

Yellow Bird:
Body: XL oval, trimmed into triangle shape
Beak:  wing from bird builder, trimmed
Eyes:  owl builder - white medium circle, black smallest circle; black outline itty bitty shapes circle
Belly:  Med. oval trimmed
Eyebrows:  candle from cupcake builder, trimmed
Hair: two tails from bird builder, trimmed

Helmet Pig:
Body: XL oval
Nose: 1/4" circle
Mouth:  itty bitty shapes circle
Eyes:   owl builder - white medium circle, black smallest circle, purple largest, cut in half
Helmet:  punch half XL oval, then punch again around the hole
Straps: candle from cupcake builder, cut in half

Whew...that almost took me as long to type as they did to make!  In case you're wondering, the "You're invited"  was printed with my computer using the Angry Birds font that I found online.  The DSP I used for the background and the present is from the Big Top Birthday pack.

I'll be back tomorrow with photos of all the party decorations we made and, of course the cake...which at the moment is sitting undecorated on my kitchen table...off to work I go!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your card and the directions. My son loves Angry Birds as well and we are doing a surprise birthday party for him. I hope my cards turn out as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...