Friday, August 31, 2012

First Day

Well, in just a few short days, my baby will be starting Kindergarten.  I can't believe this day has come...I have thought about it many times since he was born and now, here he is, heading off into the big bad world.  To say this coming Tuesday will  be difficult for me is an understatement.  As  a teacher I know all too well the kinds of things he is going to be exposed to at school and it scares the bejesus out of me!  I am just hoping I can keep it together long enough to drop him off at school and then come home and have a  good cry!  I created this card to tuck in his back pack on the first day.  I was inspired by two challenges:  the sketch at Nacho Average Challenges and the Back-to-school theme at Stampin' Royalty.  Firstly, here is the sketch:

Nac9sketch

And here is my card:

First Day of School card for NAC9 and SR139 featuring the Greeting Card Kids stamp set and sentiment from First Day (retired)

Inside view with sentiments from Bring on the Cake and Perfect Words (retired)
This card is a real blend of old and new.  I love the images in the Greeting Card Kids set and this particular one really speaks to me as the little boy looks just like my little guy (spiky blond hair and all!).  I chose to use the Storytime DSP for this card, but opted out of the school-theme patterns so that the focal image would really stand out.  I coloured the image using a blender pen and watercolor crayons...if you haven't tried these yet you absolutely don't know what you're missing!  The sentiment on the front of the card is from a long-retired set called First Day.  It is one of the few retired sets I just couldn't part with and I have to say I use it an awful lot.  On the inside of the card I used two different sentiment sets.  The Wishing you a wonderful day comes from the Bring on the Cake set and the Big Hug is from the Perfect Words hostess set from last year's catalogue.  The little apple is from the brand new Perfectly Preserved set and I die cut it out with my Cannery Framelits set.
I know my boy will appreciate this card.   He so loves any card I make.  He is my best marketer...any time I make a card for one of his friends or teachers he is right there saying "My Mommy made this card.  She's really good at making cards.  She can teach you to make cards too"!!  Gotta love free advertising!

5 comments:

  1. Cute! I can imagine that Tuesday will be tough, but I know both of you will do great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the first day of school went well. I'm sure he was very surprised and happy to find this special card in his back pack. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you put this card together! everything is great! the DSP and the theme seem to work perfectly together! the inside is just as cute as the outside!! Great card! Thanks for playing along with us for this weeks Stampin' Royalty Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful - perfect for Back To School. Thanks for joining us at Stampin' Royalty this week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...